Saturday 7 September 2013

What was in my YOU beauty discovery box?

There are no surprises here! I got just what I ordered and the extras they advertised on the website! I don't, however, think this is a bad thing. I'm curious to see how YOU beauty does in the crowded beauty box market over the next few months.

My first thought when the Yodel delivery driver brought it round this afternoon was that it is significantly smaller than the Birchbox/ Glossybox packaging. This does mean however that on the odd occasion that no one is around to open the door it will happily slot through the letterbox. Besides, I have to admit to often opening up the Glossybox and thinking that it looks a little roomy for those teeny samples. Maybe they could do with a smaller box too?

Like I say, there are no surprises in this box, but I am very pleased with the contents. This of course is because I got to choose my favourite two! I have to admit that I liked the old Jolie Box approach of 'everyone gets the same', yes it isn't tailored to you, but you also don't get that crushing 'but SHE got... blub blub' feeling when you end up with the box that no one wanted. I understand that there are often only so many of a certain sample given but no one wants the 'bad' box do they? I very much champion the choice element of the YOU box. After all, it's only yourself you have to blame if you make the wrong choice!

So here's the contents of my own tailor made box. I chose 50ml of Mama Mio Tummy Rub and 15ml of Decleor BB Cream. The Tummy Rub I admit I have no intention of buying the full size of, I have a few of these oils and I work my way through them as I have found that as long as it is oil, one is very similar to another. The Decleor cream I am hoping works for me so that I can buy the full size. Now like a lot of people, I don't feel comfortable spending £29 on something I haven't even touched or smelt, let alone put on my skin. This is where these little beauty boxes come into their own, allowing us to try before we buy (or decide not to buy as the case may be). 

I also have a Vintage Cosmetics nail file and a Collagen vitamin drink. I'll pass on the Collagen I think but I'll enjoy using the nail file. And last but not least, I got a Lalique perfume. I've been wearing this today and I haven't made my mind up about it yet. I keep going to my wrist and giving it little sniffs and I can't work out whether I like it or not. It's a really individual, spicy fragrance and is the kind of scent that I seek out. Yet there's a top note that is a bit too strong and a bit too sweet for my taste. Now for some reason the majority of the popular sweet perfumes turn into Jif lemon on my skin so I'm thinking it could be that it's not quite working with my chemical make up and that it will smell amazing on the right person.
 

My overall thoughts about the YOU box is that it's a good selection but it would have been nice to have had an actual surprise in there too - something that was kept secret until the boxes arrived. I thought they had an interesting selection on offer too, and I have had Glossy and Birch boxes that were a lot more underwhelming than this. It's not blown me away, but don't forget, at £6.95 including postage this is a very reasonable and affordable price. For the money I spent on it, compared to the £12.95 of it's rivals, it's a real bargain.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment