Monday 18 July 2011

Today... for your Kindle pleasure

I am an avid reader. I have a long commute to and from work in the morning. Luckily, the journey I take and the times I take it means that most of the time I have a nice comfy seat and a cosy journey. After I have put my make up on for the day (yeah I know....!!!) I settle down with my Kindle for some quality reading time. I thought I would share a few of my latest reads:

In the Darkest Corner, Elizabeth Haynes:
This is currently just 99p on Kindle which I have to admit was pretty much my sole reason for picking it up. Plus, it looks like it has some excellent reviews. The book starts with a court scene which I found difficult to follow and get into. Luckily I persevered through it and by about twenty pages in I was 100% hooked. This is the tale of a vibrant, vivacious young woman who meets and starts a relationship with an abusive man. Her memories of this relationship are told in tandem with the story of her present, where she is an anxious and deflated woman who is struggling with the symptoms of OCD and PTSD. The stories are woven together, intermingling between the two very different women. The end is delightful.

The Sick Rose is Erin Kelly's second book. Her first, The Poison Tree has already found it's way into the Amazon top 100 bestsellers. Just like 'In the darkest corner' this story revolves around tales that weave in and out of each other. Firstly you have Paul, whose life on an Essex council estate sees him struggling to avoid trouble and finding himself wrapped up in something that means he is relocated by a witness protection program to the Midlands. Here he meets Louisa, a member of staff, who has her own story. Her story takes place in London ten years earlier and takes her through teenage romance and obsession through to her own personal nightmares. The tales weave together, creating a plotline with a whole heap of twists, turns, and suspense.

Do not lick the Phones by Britney Bronte is available on Kindle only. It is an expose into a psychic tv channel, and I presume that Britney Bronte is a pen name as she says she has kept everything as truthful as she can... and not be sued! This is a fabulous read and incredibly well written. It contains the best of chick lit comedy with entertaining characters, developing friendships, and a budding romance. The psychic tv channel (and psychic phone lines that support it) are written about in gory detail, as are the 'babe' tv channels and phonelines on another floor. This is the kind of book that really champions from Kindle - independantly authored, no publishing houses looking for a safe profit, and available to read soon after it has been written.

No comments:

Post a Comment