Friday 26 August 2011

What did I get in my August Glossybox?

August's Glossybox is my third, and it is the last box before the price rise in September.
Not only that, it came out just days after Boudoir Prive launched their first box. With that in mind, I expected an impressive selection and I wasn't disappointed.

The product that seems to have created most excitement and twitter tweets this box is the Rebel Nails Nail Wraps. I'll admit it, on first glance I wasn't impressed. I was terrified of making a mess when applying them, and concerned that they would either fall off or I wouldn't be able to get them off. I was also a little disappointed by having wraps for toes not fingers, especially as the pattern was so detailed. For toes? Are you SURE Glossybox? However, tweet after tweet, facebook comment after facebook comment suggested how good these things were; and Rebel Nails were thanking Glossybox for all the sales. Caution and intrigue started battling and as you can see from the photograph, intrigue won out. The application? Easier than expected although when I tried to file off the excess it made a mess of the stickers so instead I hair dryered them on and then cut the excess off along with a slither of nail. This seemed to work. After a few days, stupidly hot bathes, and heavy duty exercise bike sessions in thick socks and trainers I have lost one nail so far (thankfully the sticker not the full nail!)

The next product in my box is a Murad cleanser with Time Release anti acne and anti aging properties. It smells clinical which makes me nervous to begin with. I have never, ever got on well with acne products, even when I was an acne riddled teenager acne products gave me more spots rather than less. I blame the harshness of the products on my sensitive skin. With this in mind, I very nearly didn't try this one, but the anti aging compound, I reasoned, would make the product less harsh. Sadly, this wasn't the case and my poor face was red and tight after washing and even with my redness correcting fluid it was still red and sensitive the next day.

I also had a Daniel Sandler Baby Jet Mascara. Within this Glossybox you either got a Baby Jet or a Jumbo Jet mascara. The Baby Jet is designed for the lower lashes and also for the tiny lashes in the corner of your eyes. As you can see, the brush is long and narrow and perfect for this task. I pretty much always leave my lower lashes clear as I find mascara makes them too thick giving an interesting daisy the cow effect. I gave this one a go though and it gives a very light coating so no daisy the cow eyes to be seen, just perfect lashes. I will be using this a lot. I'm not sure if I would buy it again - after all it's not £13 as a one off, it is an extra £13 every few months and that would buy me... err.... a Glossybox come September!

Next we have Ahava Mineral body lotion. When my Glossybox arrived, I had a bit of a summer cold so could smell absolutely nothing. I asked my husband to smell the Ahava and tell me what it smelt like. His answer? "You know those clubs where they have toilet attendants that help you wash your hands? It smells like those toilets". So armed with the knowledge that I was about to smell like a toilet and not overly impressed with this (however posh the toilet) I gave it a go. It is a good lotion, it sinks in quickly and instantly makes your skin feel soft. It's no better than similar creams though and I still am not sure about the toilet angle.

Lastly we have KMS hairstay. I remember the KMS brand from when I worked in a hair salon as a teenager, and remember that it was fairly good. Interestingly though, I haven't really used any salon hair products since then. This product is a hair primer that helps to set any other style. It also crackles when you first spray the mousse into your hand.
This seemed like a really good time to also try out the bumpits hair accessories that have been sitting in my bathroom for the past few months. As you can see from the photograph, my hair looks fresh, clean, and shiny and is held in place well. This is likely to end up being a hair care staple of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment