Friday 12 August 2011

Foundation Off!

AVON Calming Effects VS Make Up Forever High Definition
let the battle commence....

I'm not sure if I have mentioned it, but I'm not a big wearer of foundation. I don't know if it is my combination skin, my porcelein complexion, or the large pores across my cheeks that causes the problem (or indeed all three of them). So far I have only found two brands of foundation that 'work' for me - Prescriptives (they mix this to match your exact skin colour), and MAC (who have a wide range of colours in warm and cool tones). Even then, there is enough satisfaction missing to mean that I would rather go without. With this in mind, it is with slight trepidation that I recently trialled two foundations. The first, Avon Calming Effects was part of a great offer in the latest Avon catalogue which meant I was able to buy it for £2. Bargain! The second, Make Up Forever High Definition isn't readily available in the UK and was lovingly carried through customs for me by my cousins visiting from the US.

The first test is the colour. As you can see both are really a bit too warm for my skin tone. (For reference, the colours shown here are MUFE High Definition in 110 and Avon Calming Effects in Ivory, both the lightest colours). At first squeeze MUFE looks slightly too light and Avon slightly too dark. The texture of the Avon foundation is thicker than MUFE which is runnier than expected. On smell, however, MUFE has it here with a clearer less chemical fragrance.

On application, both applied smoothly using a foundation brush but both seemed to collect in the dry skin around the base of my nose. Avon Calming Effects seemed a closer match to my skintone, but Make Up Forever High Definition covered the redness and markings on my skin much better. High Definition dried to a powder finish, but seemed a little flaky and had a slight caked in effect in places. Calming Effects dried to a soft subtle finish but within a few hours the oiliness in my skin began to give my face a little bit of shine. You can see the effects of both from the photos below - the left side of my face has foundation, the right is left bare.

Avon Calming Effects on the left, and Make Up Forever High Definition on the right

Once I added powder, concealer, blush, and the rest of my make up I was very impressed with the results both foundations gave. My skin looks a lot clearer and less red toned. I think High Definition takes a slightly better photograph, but Calming Effects has a slight edge in natural daylight. Am I sold on foundation for day to day wear and have I found my holy grail? I have to say, I don't think I have just yet. I'll keep looking! Having said that, I think both these foundations are better for me than my old trusty MAC foundations so in both cases I am a step forward.

Avon Calming Effects Foundation,
£10.50 fr0m Avon
(full face left)
8/10



Make up Forever High Definition Foundation,
$40 from JC Penney
(full face right)
7/10





I'm still looking for a 10/10 foundation. Any suggestions on brands/ colours I should try?

No comments:

Post a Comment