Sunday, 27 October 2013

ZOMBIE! (For Her), a Halloween themed fragrance from Demeter



It's not every day that a perfume claims to smell like something died. I'll say there's a fair few fragrances out there that maybe do fill that niche, but I'd be surprised if I find any (apart from Demeter's Zombie for Her) actually set out to achieve that dramatic ideal.

This perfume first became a part of Demeter's range last year and I was desperate to get my hands on it, but being UK based, it is almost impossible to get hold of Demeter, let alone limited edition Demeter.

I was really excited when I heard that they were bringing the Zombie perfumes (they also do a Zombie for Him) back for Halloween this year. As I was expecting a parcel from the US anyway, I thought I would put in a little request to try this.

So what does it smell like? I have to admit that I was intrigued to find out. The Demeter website states:

"Think forest floor.  Zombie for Her is a combination of dried leaves, mushrooms, mildew, moss and earth"

I have to disagree here. The only note I can sense from this description is mildew, but that is a back of the throat 'has something gone passed it's best?' fleeting glimpse. Instead I found that the overwhelming top note is a slightly floral chemical smell. To be fair my first instinct says 'embalming fluids' which of course is perfect for the theme. Going back to my first comments on this post, I will say that there is definitely an air of death about Zombie for Her. Now I'm not saying that this is a bad thing, after all, that's what you have to expect when you set out to buy a perfume that smells of Zombie. However, on closer thought, this won't be one that I'm wearing very often, in fact I'll admit that it probably won't be worn at all. However, I completely and utterly recommend that anyone who gets the chance grabs this one to give it a smell, after all, when do you get to smell a Zombie?