Monday, 7 October 2013

Elvira Black Roses perfume, another great offering from Demeter

I'm not sure how many people remember Elvira, Mistress of the Dark... The 1980s movie is a bit of a classic but I'm not sure it's one that ever had more than a cult appeal. That's a shame, because Elvira and her rock mullet were pretty damn cool.

How excited was I when I found out that Demeter had brought out three limited edition Elvira fragrances? I chose the dramatic sounding Black Roses and I'm pleased that I did.

It's a really unique smell with top notes of rose and redcurrant and undertones of Patchouli, Amber, and Vetivert. On first spray it's unnervingly sweet and not unlike the smell of dry ice when it comes out at you from the dancefloor. I'd say that fitted in with the 80s Elvira image pretty well. Thankfully, the dry ice overtones wear off fairly quickly leaving a much spicier and muskier fragrance which is still pretty sweet. If I closed my eyes and tried to imaging what the mistress of the dark would smell like, I'd probably come up with something similar.